Wednesday, October 11, 2017

From the blog archives: Thundering Herd fans from New Jersey send thank-you letter

Note: I remember being so overjoyed when I received an email message from a couple of Marshall football fans several years ago (see below). It's so good to know that the memoir I wrote resonates so deeply with folks from all walks of life. And yes, I am oh so thankful that the opportunity presented itself for me to tell the greatest story that's never been told.

Hello Mr. Greenlee ...

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your book.  I am about to read it again.  My wife Debbie and I met you and your Mrs. at the Marshall University Bookstore signing during Homecoming weekend.


We're from New Jersey. And we became Marshall fans after seeing the movie We Are Marshall. We've been making an annual visit to West Virginia to see a game ever since 2006 (the year the movie came out). 

I was 16 years old when the crash happened. I remember riding in the family car with my dad when the news came over the radio. 

The movie rekindled that memory for me, and things snowballed from there. I started researching the history of the football program, sent away for some fan gear, and then our yearly trips began in earnest.

"We Are Marshall" really hit an emotional chord with us. But from the start, I kind of figured that the filmmakers “Hollywoodized” it. With few exceptions, that’s often the case with fact-based stories that make it to the big screen. 
       
The movie will always hold a special place in our hearts. But just as important to us are the true, behind-the-scenes stories of what took place during that tragic time. That's what you gave to readers with your book November Ever After. Thanks very much for writing it, Mr. Greenlee, and for enlightening us all. 

Take care.


All the best,
John & Debbie Bacha

No comments:

Post a Comment