Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My only regret about writing my memoir

There are times when I reflect on the writing of my first book -- November Ever After. And every time I go into that mode, I can honestly say that there is one regret.

Don't get me wrong. The whole process was an absolute blast. The research, the interviewing and the actual writing took me on an exhilarating journey that I will never forget. Along the way, I learned a lot about how memories can remain vivid, even when those memories span 40 years or more. With all the joy that I experienced in putting together my memoir about the 1970 Marshall football plane crash, there remains one missing element.

Winnie F. Greenlee

Wish Mom was still around in 2011

I just wish that my mother, Winnie F. Greenlee, was still around when November Ever After was published in 2011. My deepest desire was to present her with her own personal copy. In our conversations, I never told her about it and I had my reasons. 

Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Mom passed away the year before the memoir was published. But she did find out about it, in a very round-about way.

When Mom moved into an assisted living facility, I was talking with one of the administrators (can't remember her name) and learned that she grew up in Charleston, West Virginia, which less than 50 miles from Huntington, where Marshall University is located. Because of that, she was very familiar with the tragedy from so many years ago.

Told West Virginia connection about my memoir-in-progress

As we talked, she asked me about my time at Marshall because Mom had told her that I went to school there. So, when the administrator asked if I was in school at the time of the crash, I told her about the book project I was working on.  The next day when I visited Mom, it didn't take long for the subject to come up. The conversation went something like this:

"I found out the other day, from some other people, that my son is writing a book. Why didn't you tell me?," Mom asked.

I froze momentarily, not knowing exactly what to say next. The question caught me completely off-guard. "Mommmm," I answered slowly, "I just wanted to wait until the book was finished, so I could surprise you."

Mom gave me one of those motherly looks that let me know that I was forgiven for being closed-mouthed about the topic. 
"Well OK," she replied. "I can't wait to read it."

A personal source of inspiration

Winnie F. Greenlee is the most determined person I have ever known. As someone who decided to return to college during her "golden years," she set an example that serves as continuous encouragement on a personal level. In the year 2000, Mom graduated from college with a degree in business management -- at the age of 80.

My plan was to surprise her with my memoir, which I dedicated to her. Although she knew about the book, she didn't know about the dedication part of it. Just wish I could have had that opportunity to share that moment with Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment